Saturday, October 11, 2014

Lessons My Dad Taught Me- Quality Time

Ever since I was a little boy, my dad made it a point to spend time with me. When I was in elementary school, sometimes my dad would pull me out of school early and we would go see an Orioles baseball game. My dad would buy me a cup of Dip ’N Dots and we would sit and talk while watching the game. I remember my dad taking me every year to the Ravens training camp, and getting autographs from players and getting to talk with Tony Banks and The Goose. Once I got into the 5th grade or so, dad would wake me up early a few times a week and we would jog in the woods. Once I got older and my tastes began to change, dad would take me to McDonalds every Monday morning and we would spend time with each other and talk. Several times we would drive a few to hear a preacher out of town, and when the winter came my dad would drive me every single week to go snowboarding. My dad invested a whole lot of time in me. I remember that most of those drives to and from snowboarding I would talk to my dad about a subject that I was passionate about- please don’t laugh- the life of Walt Disney. I don’t want to brag, but I have read over a dozen biographies of Walt Disney, his life fascinates me, it did even when I was a teenager. I would talk for hours about Walt Disney to my dad. Do you something I realized not to long ago? My dad did not care even an ounce about what I was talking about! Seriously, who really wants to know how Dumbo did in the box office or why the Disney Studio riot happened? But as a teen, I did not know that. My dad engaged with me about something that he cared little to nothing about. Why is that? He was trying to invest time in me.
I love my parents. They mean the world to me. The hardest thing about living in Georgia is that I don’t get to see them nearly as much as I used to. I believe that a large part of the reason that I feel love by my parents and why I love them in return is because of time spent. My dad made it very clear in his actions that his job was important, but his family was more important. Yes, sometimes he had to take a phone call while we were spending time together and sometimes he did have to go on an emergency hospital visit, but I never had a doubt in my mind that he would rather be spending time with me than doing that.
Who do you love? We all love at least one person in our lives. Is it your parents? your spouse? your child? co-worker? The list goes on and on. Do you know how to express that love in a genuine way? Give them your time. Time is the most valuable asset that we have, therefore the things that we spend time on are ultimately the things that we truly care about. As a pastor, I love my congregation. I need to be diligent to give them my time, in writing them letters, in listening to them if they need to talk to me, in prayer, and in other areas. You see, it takes more than telling someone that you love them, it takes actions. Talk is cheap, actions are valuable.
I have never doubted the love that my parents have for me. Not many grown children are able to say that. A lot of children feel like they took second place to work, or maybe even third, fourth, or fifth place. But since my parents spend their time on me, I know they love me and I love them in return. Quality time is important.
Don’t forget to check out Calvary Baptist Church
This is the last of the Lessons My Dad Taught Me Series. To read the others again, here is No Complainin’ About Nothin’, The Importance of Soulwinning, and Never Argue With Anyone About Anything Ever.

Stay tuned for a new series coming next week: Lessons My Mom Taught Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment