Thursday, September 25, 2014

Lessons That My Dad Taught Me- No Complaining About Nothin'

When I was thirteen years old, I had the opportunity to go on a missions trip to Nassau, Bahamas. My dad was the youth pastor of a large youth group and several of us went to hold a Bible school for the children who lived in Nassau. It was an incredible time! God worked in a great way, and I was able to see what it was like to live in poverty. This is off topic, but I believe that every teen needs to see what it is like to live in a third world country. It is easy to get spoiled living in the USA, but to be able to see the living conditions of those less fortunate and see that, despite what little they have, they are so much happier than we tend to be, is very convicting and is a great reality check. My dad was in charge of our group of teens and he put us through several meetings of training before we got there. In the first meeting that we all had, my dad went over a list of the rules for the missions trip. Rules like, no dating while on the missions trip, no color tv (we were allowed to talk about black and white shows, like the Andy Griffith show, I Love Lucy, and Three Stooges), dress code rules, things to not bring with us, and more. There was one rule in particular that has always stuck out to me. It was a rule that I learned did not just apply to the missions trip but to life in general. That rule was, as my dad humorously put it, “no complaining about nothin’!” (Note: For any Grammar Nazi’s reading this, the double negative was said on purpose in order to be funny. Please do not flood my comment section with grammar corrections.)
Why was this such an important rule for a missions trip? Since we were going down to the Bahamas to do a Bible school for the church, we were to serve them for the week. It would be selfish of us to go down there and then complain about how hot the weather was, how we didn’t like the food that was given to us, or the cleanliness of our sleeping arrangement. We were there to be a blessing and to serve, complaining was not compatible with the purpose for being down there.
As Christians, we are called to serve the Lord and to be a blessing wherever we go. Remember, we are ambassadors for Christ. Complaining is not compatible with our calling as Christians. Complaining is a very carnal thing to do, because the root of complaining is being unthankful. The Lord has done so much for us, why do we feel like we have the right to be unthankful? 
Sometimes when I am tempted to complain, I think about the people in the Bahamas. Many of them live in small cinder block houses that are no bigger than my living room. No air conditioning, many had no running water. Who am I to complain? 
Paul said it this way in 1st Timothy 6:8, “And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.” God has provided for our needs, there is no reason to complain.

When we went down to the Bahamas, we got to see many children accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour. God blessed our time there, and part of it was because we had a good spirit. That good spirit was present within our group because we came to do God’s work and to not complain while doing it. When we focus on serving the Lord, and having an excellent spirit while doing so, God will bless in a great way. That is why we need to have the rule, “No complaining about nothin’!”

If you haven't yet, be sure to check out Calvary Baptist Church's website at www.calvarybaptisthartwell.com.
Also, check out my dad's ministry at www.ebthagerstown.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment