Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lessons My Dad Taught Me- The Importance of Soul Winning

Another recent article on soul winning was written by my good friend, Kreig Durham. Read it here at Cutting the Great Commission Short.
I would like to share what may possibly thing the biggest thing that my father taught me that has shaped who I am today. If my father had never taught me this, I do not believe that I would be in the ministry today. That is the area of soul winning. Can you look back on your life and identify one particular moment that shaped the rest of your life? I sure can. I forget what grade I was in, I believe it was around the third grade, but I can take you to the exact spot where this happened and all the events surrounding it. This moment was the time that my dad showed me how to be a soul winner. You might think that a third grader is too young to be a soul winner, but I cannot disagree with you more. I remember exactly how it happened. My dad and me were sitting in the front pew of the church we were at. It was not a Sunday or Wednesday night, I think it was after school one day. My dad gave me a brown Gideon Bible and took me through the Romans Road, underlining verses and then writing notes to show me which verse to go to next. That moment motivated me to be a soul winner. I asked my junior church teacher if I could go through the salvation plan with any kid that needed to get saved, I witnessed to my classmates, in fact, I got to win one girl to the Lord, I would stand outside the auditorium when church was over, asking people if they were saved. I was excited about sharing the Gospel because my dad showed me how much of a priority it was by showing me how to do it. It was around the 5th grade when my dad asked me if I wanted to go soul winning with the teens on Wednesday night. I agreed to do so, and every Wednesday night after that I would go out soul winning with a group of teen guys. Typically 5th graders are not invited to go out soul winning with teens, but my dad was trying to show me that soul winning is important.
I am still pretty young, in life and in the ministry, but I have had the opportunity to see many churches and their operations. I do not think I am overstepping my bounds when I say that I can see the spiritual climate of fundamental Baptists. I have noticed that there are two areas that are vastly being ignored among many of our Christians, they are the areas of personal Bible study and personal soul winning. Many Christians do not know how to be an effective soul winner, but that isn’t the main problem; the main problem is that many Christians don’t feel like they need to know how to be an effective soul winner. I think what fuels this problem is the fact that being a soul winner requires you to not just play the part of being a Christian on Sunday morning during church, but it requires you to be a Christian ALL THE TIME. That is a commitment that some are just not willing to make. Why aren’t they? Because they do not see the importance in soul winning.
Jesus saw the importance of soul winning. What does he say to his disciples in Matthew 9:37, “the harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few.” Jesus is telling his disciples that they need to get out into the harvest field. There are souls that need to be saved, and we are the ones that can go out there and make a difference for the Lord.
We, as Christians, rally behind great causes. I ate at Chick-fil-a on Chick-fil-a Day, I shop at Hobby Lobby, I vote for what I believe in, my wife walked for Breast Cancer Awareness, I am for political activism or drawing attention to an illness or a charity that helps some particular cause, but we cannot forget that our number one focus, the most important cause that we are to stand for is the salvation of lost souls.
I do not know what the future holds for Calvary Baptist Church. Someday we may have ministries that help with people in every stage of life. I would love to see people in our building every single day having Bible studies, growing and edifying one another; I would love to see activity and excitement in our members. But the one thing that should never change is the understanding that soul winning takes the front seat in the operations of our church. As I have heard many wise men say in the past, “We need to keep the main thing the main thing, and the main thing is soul winning.”
I am so thankful for a dad who isn’t just a soul winner. He is much more than that. At a very young age, he taught me how important soul winning is. I sincerely believe that every soul that is saved through my ministry will be credited to my dad and mom in eternity, because without their influence and training I would not be a soul winner today. How about you? How important is soul winning to you? Think of what God could do through us if we all determined to place soul winning on our priority list where God wants it to be! Let’s all determine to be more passionate in our soul winning efforts.
Did you miss part one of this series? If so, here is a link to No Complaining About Nothin’! Check it out.
Also, for more information on my dad’s ministry, check out the website of Emmanuel Baptist Temple.

Lastly, if you live in Northeast Georgia, or are travelling through, check out the website of Calvary Baptist Church in Hartwell, GA. We would love to have you as a guest to our church!

No comments:

Post a Comment