Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Parenting Seminar and Loving Jesus

We will soon be having our Parenting Seminar at Ballenger Creek Baptist Church. Pastor Curtis King (my dad) from Emmanuel Baptist Temple will be joining us to teach a session called "Raising 'G' Rated Children in an 'R' Rated World". I cannot possibly describe how excited I am about this event. By the way, if you are interested in coming, it will be on Friday, August 16th, at 6:30 pm at Arcadia. The address is: 4720 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick, MD 21704. Pastor Sharff and I planned this evening a little before my first daughter was born on May 27th. Before my daughter was born, I thought that this series would be helpful in getting young families interested in the church. The day my daughter was born I suddenly realized something; I realized that God had me, Curtis King, on this planet for several important reasons. Obviously, the most important reason is to glorify Him, seeing that this is the sole duty of man and that every action that I do should ultimately bring Him glory (1st Cor. 10:31) but as I stood there with my baby daughter in my arms I realized that God had me here so that I could raise my daughter to LOVE JESUS with all of her heart. In a few years, I will be so proud to hear people tell me that my daughter has a great singing voice, or my daughter is a sweet person, or my daughter is the most well behaved; but all of those things will pale in comparison to her loving Jesus. That is what I want more than anything else in the world! She doesn't have to be a pastor's wife someday, she doesn't have to be a church secretary or a sunday school teacher someday, she doesn't have to go to the mission field; what will bring me more joy than anything else in the world will be for her to love Jesus more than anything else in the world. I hope the theme song of her life is "I'd Rather Have Jesus": I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold, I'd rather be his than have riches untold, I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands, I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hands, Than to be a king of a vast domain, or be held in sins dread sway; I'd rather have Jesus than ANYTHING this world affords today!
Now, there are some reading this and saying to themselves, "Wow, talk about digressing, he started this by talking about his church's parenting seminar and now he is going off about his daughter." For those who take joy in critiquing amateur writers (which I think is a pretty weird pastime); I'd like you to know that I did that on purpose. See, I am so thankful for my upbringing. I understand that there are not a whole lot of people in the world that can say that, but I can. I believe that I had two incredible parents, maybe even the best. My parents made sure that my relationship with God was more important than anything else. Now, on August 16th, my dad will be coming to my church, and he will be teaching on parenting. You'd better believe that I will be front and center taking the best notes that I can! Why? because I am on a mission to raise my daughter in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
If you live in Frederick, MD and you want to raise your child to love the Lord, you absolutely must come to Ballenger Creek Baptist Church's Parenting Seminar. It will be an encouragement to you and I believe you will walk away from it with a great help in how to be a great, godly parent. I hope you come; our children are depending on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment